Friday, October 29, 2010

I am working here, I promise.

I am constantly reminded of this space I am filling between local and tourist, on an island primarily frequented by Western vacationers looking to have a good time. However, I am here to work, regardless of the frustrations that may accompany these efforts. While today was slow to say the least, I’ll take this time to talk a bit about my work life here in Barbados. Currently, other than supporting the Communications team – Lisa and Patrick – with anything they need, I am working on documenting best practices to write up a social media platform for this country office. Not too time consuming save trying to get in contact with other country offices to figure out what they’re up to. So, I am prone to taking regular tea breaks here, especially since the lunch room (read: closet) has milo as well. And I must say, though I find it odd that everyone drinks evaporated milk with their hot beverages, I am growing to love the taste!

The last two days I was working on a presentation for our rep Tom to make for high school students on UN Statistics Day (try making that interesting), but it got cancelled. Pretty much everything has been cancelled this past week since the Prime Minister died of cancer last Saturday. I think he was quite loved and fairly young. The funeral is next Wednesday. But it was a nice change to have the TACRO (UNICEF The Americas and Caribbean Regional Office) Representative visiting last week, and now you can virtually meet my colleagues:

Otherwise, a few of us have taken to having our lunch break on the beach – it really makes for a legit break from the office, even though I find it a little too hot outside. But how can I complain with the breeze, good company and the sound of waves breaking. Also, I should say that Julie and I share an “office” – it’s actually that we have desks in the library. No complaints since it has windows and a lot to read, but it turns out it also serves as the holding pen for children of staff when they are in the office. It doesn’t help that there is a big screen TV in here. Last week, when schools were on a break, I could swear we were running a glorified babysitting service. I do love kids, I promise, but I cannot be expected to work when they are listening to Scooby Doo on volume 10000 in Spanish. I’m trying to be “child-friendly” – and they are cute, Kayla made us a homage that is up for interpretation:

After work, usually we opt to walk most of the way home, past the smoothie van, hotels, banks and shops, Bert’s Bar, Shell and on to Big B (our grocery store of choice). When we first arrived, we went almost every day. I am trying to buy as much “local” as possible – but it’s tempting with so many Canadian imports. The other great thing about Big B is they have a free shuttle when you buy groceries. A must since there is no bus running to our place from there.

And two nights ago, I spent about an hour making a delicious teriyaki veggie stir fry – complete with (knife) crushed peanuts – and what do I hear? Bells! Ice cream! I grabbed my wallet, ran to the curb and listened. And it was as if the sugar gods heard my prayer because the ice cream truck came around the bend onto my street! Someone hailed him down a few houses away, huzzah! I talked to the ice cream man and told him to drop by any time. This is so dangerous.


After a really lovely run under the stars, I spent the rest of the night relaxing on the porch with the scrumptious eats.

So, does anyone want to come visit?

P.S. False advertising, this is from my colleague's porch, not mine!

2 comments:

  1. I totally want to come for a visit! I'll talk to my personal travel agent tomorrow and ask her to keep her eye out for seat sales!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you thought of Amy while you were crushing up those peanuts? Are there lots of veggies and fruits grown on the island or do those get imported from elsewhere?

    Miss you, boo!

    ReplyDelete